Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Pastors and Finance (a reflection from Pastors School)

Rev. Laurence D.B., Senior Pastor of Tamil Methodist Church,
Tamil Settlement, Buntong. Ipoh. (also my senior Pastor)
In another workshop, Rev. Laurence D.B. spoke about Pastors and finance. Many Pastors who attended the Pastors School expressed their financial difficulties and struggles. Some struggles so much that at times even their ministries are affected. The overall sentiment of the School was, Pastors are underpaid and constant rising cost of living in Malaysia affects them and their families badly. Some claims that they have not even been able to get a small gift for their wives during their birthdays. Or even bring out their kids to the fast food restaurant for dining. Those Pastors feel that, their financial constraint has deprived their wives and children from enjoying some basic pleasures of the world. Apart from that, some Pastors even resort into borrowing money from church members and friends to meet their constraint budget.

Reflection: It saddens my heart to hear about the financial crisis that some of my fellow colleagues face. I really wonder how the Conference (TAC) could help. Will a salary hike solve the problem? How much is enough? Does every Pastor have the same need/s? In reflecting upon some of these questions, I realized that every Pastor will have their peculiar needs involving finances. A salary hike alone will not help. One Pastor may need an addition of RM 300 / month; another Pastor may need an addition of RM 1000 a month. So, how much is enough? So, in my own opinion Pastors should resolve their financial struggles wisely. First, be diligent in spending. Secondly, encourage their spouses to earn a living. I notice that most of the Pastors who were sharing about their financial struggles have non-working wives. I think this is where the wives must also learn to shoulder some responsibilities and ease the husband's financial burden. Pastor’s wives should find for themselves a job that will generate some income for the family and at the same time increase the spending ability of the family as a whole. It is kind of hard for me to accept the arguments of some Pastors who make comparison of their financial state with their church members. Often time Pastors forget that most of our church members has working wives. Perhaps at the current age, it seems to me that it is indeed essential for both husband and wife to earn a living to avoid any major financial constraints. So, it is unfair for Pastors to make comparison with church members who have both their husband and wife working. As for me, I am not rich but I don’t go through major financial crisis because I have a working wife. Her earning has helped us tremendously in our monthly budget. Praise God that I have not asked people for financial assistance at least thus far in my ministry. So, In my own view and reflection on this matter, I feel that when a Pastors wives goes to work to earn a living, they would definitely ease the financial burden or rather bondage that clamp down many Pastors and their ministries. This view may be subjective. But, for me it really worked! I think it also works well for my other colleagues who have working wives.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Pastor,

I totally agree with you that Pastors are underpaid and also to your point that Pastors need not compare themselves with Church members.

We have to understand that many a times we are comparing Pastors with Church members who are doing well.How about those who are not doing well? A person who earns $2K+ a month and has a house to pay for which pastors need not pay and also other expenses.

Looking at the salary structure of TAC, there are advantages and disadvantages to it. What I believe is that a Pastor needs to be taken care well financially. They need to drive GOOD cars - etc because they are preaching of "OUR GOD WHO BLESSES US".. I am not asking TAC to compare the standard of living of our Pastors to the Independednt Churches but I strongly believe something needs to be done.

I would say the salary of a fresh Theology College Graduate should be atleast RM 2K. But my question is will everyone agree to this?Will the churches be willing to pay? Will our TAC find measures to multiply their assets to generate funds to support "Pastors Salary Fund"?????

I also believe certain pastors slack in their ministry just because they are uncertain whether they can run the month with their income. I am sorry to say that this is the people group which the Church is looking up to tell us that "IN NO MATTER WHATEVER SITUATION, MY GOD IS MY PROVIDER"....

Well that's my comment. I don't know how sensitive is it but this is my deep concern deep within my heart.. When i voiced out that retired pastors who are willing to serve in TAC should be paid more, I was basically ridiculed and was even asked if my Church would be able to take these pastors. I didn't see a genuity in what was happening. Sorry dude. I have my rights to voice out my concern right?

8:14 PM  
Blogger Rev. Silvester L.M. David said...

Thanks Ed for dropping by. Well said.

7:02 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It is a stunning post. Exceptionally valuable to me. I preferred it .Swipe Your Credit Card And have Immediate cash With Cheapest Costs. Provide Your ID Card Photo Copy As A Document Resistant.
If you Want more details kindly Visit Cash on Credit card

3:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home