Thursday, August 17, 2006

Doctors...are they a blessing today??


Doctors are God given gift on this earth to treat the sick and provide medical assistance to those who are in need. It is a stressful profession where most of the time their decisions on the operation bed determine the future of the patient. We may have our own favorite doctors…..for many reasons. As for, ever since I moved to Seremban, I have not found a ‘good’ or ‘suitable’ doctor for consultation. As I mention earlier, we all have our own on preference on doctors base on our own reasons and needs.
I have visited several doctors in the past (in Seremban) and I was not very happy, either because of their treatment or ethics. Sad to say that most of them that I visited were Christian doctor. There was once, I visited a panel doctor (recommended by STM) and he was an Evangelical Christian. Rather than treating my ailment he also preached from the Bible on how I should take care of my health. He was also He was also very proud of his modern medications and latest drugs that he gives his patients. He was also criticizing many other doctors who prescribes the older generation of drugs to their patients. Wow….that was exciting to hear a ‘Godly man’ treating my sickness. Well….my excitement did not last long. I was shocked to see my bill end of the day. Just for a normal cough and cold, I was charged RM 35.00. What shocked me the most was, he knew it well that I am a full time student in STM (that means he knows that I don’t earn a living). But yet I felt being ‘slaughtered’ by this doctor. Anyway, no complaints because the medication came along with a ‘sermon’. However, his medication was nothing great either, I did not recover from my cough and cold after all!!.
Several months later, I was introduced to another Catholic doctor in town (Klinik Samuel). The introducer told me that this doctor would not charge any medical fees to any Pastors. Recently, I was down with a bad sinus and asthma…..hey…you guys know that !! I have an entry on that. Anyway, I visited him for medication. He is such a pleasant gentlemen. He is very polite and I could see a lot of Christian traits in him. I also noticed that his clinic is always packed with patients. I was chatting with a patient before meeting Dr. Bob Samuel, and I was told by him (a Malay guy) that this doctor is the best in town. His medicines are very effective and his charges are very reasonable. I was impressed with those remarks by the fellow patient. When my turn came I went in and the doctor treated me. He asked me where do I work and I told him that I am a full time Seminary student. Not to my surprise he did not charge me for the medication and the injection that he gave. I had no regrets for visiting this doctor…..I paid no bills and my health improved tremendously upon visiting him.
Now that I have recovered from my ailment, I was thinking this morning of the 2 doctors I visited in the recent days. The first one was our panel doctor, an evangelical with some sound doctrine. He also seems to be very ‘charismatic’ person in his approach and speech. Well, the second doctor, was a simple Catholic man, slow in speech and very gentle. Looking at both this doctors, I feel that the second doctor was more successful than the first one looking at the amount of patients that they have waiting outside of their room. I shared this experience with a fellow seminarian and I was told that the second doctor seem to be more blessed in his profession because he knows how to honor the man of God. The issue here is not the bill but the heart of service. Here is a fellow evangelical who makes (too much) out his patient and another simple catholic who treats his patient with love and honor. No wonder why Dr. Bob Samuel is very blessed. Because he is indeed a blessing for many...especially servants of God.

I strongly recommend you guys to visit him if you are sick. His clinic is located right opposite of the Church of Visitation (Catholic Church) in town.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home